Wednesday, October 3, 2007

God Bless the Web

Last week we were able to hook up to the internet via our own line (instead of mooching wireless off our neighbors). In addition to this we picked up a webcam and speakers. All of this combined gives us the opportunity to chat with anybody in the world for free. The options vary, but all are free, and free is GOOD!

Throughout the last few years, I have picked up a Yahoo! Messenger account under my email address corydyck@yahoo.com. One of my students made a Windows Messenger account under the email address dyckonabike@hotmail.com. And I just picked up a Skype account with my yahoo address listed above. I've never used Skype before, but it can't be too much different from the other two. Our screen name on Skype is coryandjendyck.

So what are the options? Well, if you don't have a webcam or microphone, we can just instant message. You would be able to see us, but we wouldn't be able to see you. Good for you, bad for us. If you have a webcam but no microphone, we could see each other and instant message.

The best option (the one we used with my parents the other day) is for all of us to have webcams and microphones and speakers so we could see and talk to each other and not have to type anything at all!!

The best part about all of this is that you don't have to pay for anything but your internet connection (unless you mooch that off of your neighbors). We can talk audibly over the internet at no cost! It's amazing!

Anyhow, that's my blurb for today. Thanks for reading, keep the comments coming. I love to hear from you guys, and I think Jen does too. Shoot, all.

No comments: