Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Little Bit Of Culture



Happy Chuseok! We just finished celebrating our first Korean Thanksgiving. We enjoyed some time off school and went and did some sightseeing around Seoul. We got to visit several historical places while here and some modern sites as well.




I had written a blog about a week ago and intended to post it, but my conscience got the best of me. (Or maybe it was Cory.) I was going to complain about all the difficulties we're having because we're foreigners. It just makes some things a little more complicated - like banking, phones, internet, and . . . communicating! :) Also, in my case, it is hindering my shopping! Going to the grocery store is quite an adventure - I can't read 80% of the labels! Learning to read Korean won't help until I can understand what I'm reading! My other shopping problem is my feet. They're too big. No one sells above American size 8 . . . ok. Not "no one" - just hardly anyone! :) I 'm thinking about coming up with a Top Ten List of things we can't find . . . just for your amusement. Deoderant and shoes for Jen are at the top!




We've been able to travel around Seoul using the subway and bus systems quite freely. There aren't great maps here, just women directions - you know "turn right at the big department store and left at the big tree." Put that in Korean with a few hand signals and we're really confused!

Write us when you can! We miss being able to keep in touch with people. Our families most, I think. As we figure things out that should get better, I think.

Keep in touch and write us when you can!

3 comments:

The Two of Us said...

Thanks for the updates. It has been good to see you there in your new element. I'm sure you are having fun with this new adventure together!

Pam said...

Ugh, no size 8? I'd be in real trouble with my size 9s!

Anonymous said...

Walmart has end of season sales right now - would you like flip flops in every color available???

Love, Mom