Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Pepero Day!


I know, I know . . . we haven't updated the blog in so long! Ok, maybe it's only been 2 weeks, but it seems like a long time ago! So, where do we begin?

In America on November 11 we celebrate Veteran's Day, a day to honor and remember those who have fought for our freedom. Here in South Korea they celebrate quite a different holiday.

Apparently, because the date can be written 11/11 some middle school girls in Korea sometime in the early 90's were reminded of 4 sticks of Pepero. They exchanged the snack hoping that they would be as tall and slender as a stick of Pepero. In reality, most people believe that the company who produces this cookie stick dipped in chocolate created the holiday as a marketing ploy. Either way, I've decided I like the stuff!

It's celebrated mostly by young people and couples. Cory and I both received gifts of Pepero from some students, and I bought him a few boxes myself. While researching Pepero Day I also found that the custom here in Korea on Valentine's Day is for the woman to give to the man - not vice versa. Cory was quite happy. This will be the 2nd Valentine's Day in a row he has gotten out of it - claiming he doesn't know what to buy!

In general, we are both doing well. We both get cold quite often - our schools haven't turned on the heat yet. We are both keeping busy with classes and I still feel like I'm scrounging around to come up with flavorful American foods. Unfortunately we won't have much of a Thanksgiving celebration this year. The holiday is not recognized in Korea and most of the traditional things we eat aren't accessible. So - maybe meatloaf this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will fax you some turkey and dressing for you. Down south they like to barbeque pigs on pits for Thanksgiving. They taste great and wish I was there for a good old fashioned pig pickin'. Great to hear you are both well. Stay warm. Mark Scott, President WV Republican Assembly