Sunday, June 7, 2009

Household Names

I've got to admit that I have been HORRIBLE at posting lately. Jen has done a good job filling in my gaps with excellent content about our recent activities. I feel like I haven't had anything decent to write about lately. But I've got a couple ideas in the works about different things.

Today though, I just wanna introduce a new feature here on "The Great Adventure" called "Household Names." You've seen the Konglish Quiz over on the right side of the page (and sometimes cried about me not adding another one often enough), but it seems like the list of eligible Konglish questions is getting short. And because I was talking to my co-teacher the other day about famous Korean people, I came up with this alternative idea (which will also last just a short while). But maybe if I use both ideas at random in the future, I'll be able to keep the questions coming.

Sometimes, a student or my co-teacher will ask me if I know so-and-so, and I'll say no. Her/their response to this is usually the Korean equivalent to "O MY _______!!! Are you freaking serious?!!??!"

"Um, yeah, I have no idea who you're talking about."

"Wow! You must be an arrogant American who isn't concerned with anything further away than your own nose!" Okay, so they don't really say that, but it's my perception.

Sometimes, I do know who they're talking about but only because I've lived here for a couple years. So I wanna test the international knowledge of Korean culture.

I've posted the first quiz over on the right side of the page; it's called "Household Names." Feel free to vote and be sure to come back on Saturdays to check out the answers to the quizzes. Park Ji Sung could quite possibly be the most famous person in Korea. But who is he?

3 comments:

Candy said...

The problem with this new quiz, at least for you is, we can all look it up on the web. So I voted and I know I am right. I feel like a winner!!

Pam said...

I have no idea, but I'm going to take a stab without looking it up. We may be arrogant Americans, but, hey, we can't know EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

Pam, thanks for not cheating. I guess I only hope that other people reading this blog don't learn how to google "Konglish" in the future or my other quiz will be too easy as well. :)