Thursday, June 18, 2009

Learning to Cook Korean

When Cory and I first arrived in Korea one of our Korean friends taught me how to make 2 popular Korean dishes,
bulgogi (marinated meat)


and duen jang jiggae (stew).


I don't actually cook Korean food at home often, but I really want to take some Korean cooking skills with me so that now and then we can some authentic Korean and perhaps introduce the flavors to friends and family! (Get ready, everybody!)

My new school is on the American school schedule, so I am finished with school until August ... and Cory noticed a Korean cooking class I could join. It was just a one time class, but I learned 2 more Korean dishes, so I am adding to my repertoire!

I learned how to make another meat dish - I'm not clear on it's Korean name, but the teacher translated it as beef meatloafs ... lol. It is similar to a hamburger patty with totally different ingredients mixed in with the ground meat. Inside the patties you stuff chestnuts, pine nuts, and Korean dates. We also made a yogurt dressing that gets drizzled over them when they are done, and boy was it yummy! Definitely NOT your idea of typical Korean food!



We also learned how to make japchae! It IS a very common Korean dish made with vermicelli noodles, soy sauce, veggies, and seafood if you like.


It was a GREAT experience, but my Korean cooking skills are just getting started! Another Korean friend of mine taught me how to make the ever-popular kimbap! For us Westerners, we think of it as a sushi roll. However, don't call it sushi here or you are in big trouble. Neither Cory or I like kimbap, but now I know how to make it, and somehow that makes it taste better! Maybe because I know what's in it!


Thanks, Sophie, Lee, Bella (picture above) and Bo for helping me learn to cook authentic Korean food!

1 comment:

Candy said...

It all sounds yummy, maybe we will be lucky enough to taste some of it while you are here!!