Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Big Beginning - Jen's point of view.

It all starts 3 years ago. Well, at least it dates back that far. There was a new group of teachers in and one of them has become much more to me than just a co-worker. This past fall I was praying about whether or not to return to Guam after my 5th year here teaching. I had been offered a position in Elkins, WV near my parents and was seriously considering it for this next year.

As I prayed through the decision a co-worker and I talked about our plans for next year. He, too, was considering moving on from Harvest. In the late fall we did a few things together one on one. Students or other staff members would see us out and ask questions, but we always told them we were just friends. And so we were.

We began to enjoy doing things together and in December were able to help out a friend who was doing some repairs and renovations to his home. I was able to help out with simple tasks like painting but there were more skilled jobs that needed done. I asked Cory if he'd be willing and so we were able to help out a friend in need. We spent most of our break getting up early in the morning, stopping by McDonald's for dollar sausage mcmuffins, shopping at ACE, and working many hours together. Cory got to see the best and the worst of me during Christmas break - sweaty, tired, grumpy I'm sure. But I wasn't worried about impressing him, and the feeling was mutual. We made time to do other things for fun after working long hours and enjoyed each other's company.

In January Cory "made a move" - and apparently I "shot him down." At this point I was making plans to leave for the States in June and figured he had no real intentions beyond friendship. Ever since I've know him he's been uninterested in dating or marriage. I wasn't interested in a short lived relationship but as it turns out, that was not his intention. We continued spending quite a bit of time together and it was obviously becoming a more committed relationship.

In February, just after Valentine's Day (conveniently enough for someone who had no idea what to get his prospective girlfriend) we began dating officially. We knew our time was short and we would have to make some big decisions. It seemed the Lord had brought us together in such a unique way - and neither one of us had been looking for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That story of your was sad and really really sweet it is super cool on how the Lord brought you guys together.
i hope iy was worth it.



I LOVE YOU