Sunday, May 13, 2007

Popping the Question - Again, Jen's point of view.

Don't worry, I'll write something from my perspective at some point. :)

There is an overlook down South that I came upon 2 years ago. I had been searching out God's will about whether or not to stay in Guam for another contract. When I stopped at this Vietnam Veteran's Memorial I wrote in my journal that I thought it was the perfect place in Guam to get married - mountains on one side and ocean view on the other. Cory read that page in my journal one day and somehow knew where it was. I thought nothing of it until a few weeks ago.

We had a special day for the entire school on Friday, April 20. It was a long day and we didn't leave until 5:30. Both of us were tired and smelly - or so I thought. Cory wanted to do something "fun" so we went our separate ways to shower and clean up and he was supposed to pick me up. Ordinarily he takes a while to get ready - so I took my time. Next thing I know he's ready to pick me up and head out - and my hair is still wet! I quickly finished getting ready and off we went to catch what we could of the sunset on his bike.

As we got further down South I thought it seemed we were missing the sunset but there's a restaurant at the marina I thought we might be heading for. As we passed it by, I realized he must have someplace in particular in mind. We passed a familiar white truck not long after that, but I figured it's a small island. No big deal . . . And then we stopped at the infamous overlook.

I wondered what was up, but had been told I had at least a month to wait, and I knew the ring we had looked at wasn't ready yet. So we talked and he suddenly announces his need for a restroom. How romantic - and I think that's what I told him. That kept me facing the mountains and when he came back he had a guitar in his hands. (Those don't usually fit on motorcycles unnoticed.) I started thinking maybe we have company. It turns out that a friend of ours had dropped the guitar off for him (the guy in the white truck) and hidden it according to where Cory's map indicated "I'll go to the bathroom here." He played me our song - I'm Yours by Jason Mraz and then a new one - from the Wedding Singer, I Wanna Grow Old With You. I melted. :)

After that we talked about how our relationship had developed and grown so quickly over the past few months. Then he told me he had 2 things to tell me. He had never said he loved me to that point because he thinks it is overused and often said without real meaning attached. So when he told me loved me for the first time, I knew there was much attached. He then asked me to marry him and I, of course, said yes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Mrs.dyck,
It is a cool story on how he proposed to you:) It is awesome on how sometimes people do ordanary things( like going to the bathroom) and they come out with a bigger than big suprise.