Thursday, May 1, 2008

Apologies and Promises

Wow, I can't believe it's been more than two weeks since our last post. I have to apologize for that. It's my fault. At first, I was really good about doing this regularly, but lately (the last three months or so) I've dropped the ball big time. Why? you ask. Some friends of ours have recently noted that life just isn't as exciting right now. Maybe it's because we're just coming off of winter, or because we're looking forward to spring and summer, or maybe just because there aren't many changes in our lives right now to tell you about. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry. I'll try to do better.

Anyhow, enough of the sad stuff, let's get on with life.

As I was thinking about my Advanced Class that I teach in the afternoon, I wanted to plan a semester that encourages the students to use English in everyday language. The best way to do that is it teach them language that they'll actually use. It's going pretty well. Last week I showed them a video in class, a sitcom, which was about being cool. "Cool" to them is a weather term. So I had to explain the concept to the class that "cool" is being popular, likable, friendly, and so on. They caught on pretty fast. I was surprised. :)

This past Monday, we enjoyed Water Day, which is (aside from an opportunity to goof off outside of class) an opportunity to use English while engaging in fun activities like soaking each other to the bone for no apparent reason. They LOVED it, even though they didn't play by the rules most of the time. I was a little discouraged afterward because it seemed like they weren't understanding the words that were coming out of my mouth. As I was picking up water balloon trash and cleaning out the buckets that we used, one of the kids that pays attention the least (or so I thought) walked up to me and said "Thanks, Mr. Dyck, that was cool!"

No comments: